My friend Jacob Evans pulled me into a question with Jim Gardner about focusing our preaching to millennials, or boomers, etc. It does seem that some "innovations" are being advocated so we can "reach" a specific group. Incidentally, there's not a minute of newest or novelty to that.
* **^** *
To Whom should We Gear Our Preaching?
- ...preach to children, adults should be able to figure the Bible out on their own.
- ...preach to 10-12 year olds, more people obey the Gospel during those ages than any other.
- ...preach to teens, they have a lifetime of energetic service ahead of them.
- ...preach to young adults, when they are getting married and having kids they really begin to get serious about the future.
- ...preach to middle-aged people, they are at the height of their leadership potential and earning potential.
- ...preach to retirees, they have more disposable income than any other group and are making financial decisions that can dramatically affect the local work of the church.
- ...preach to the oldest members, they are at the end and need to be ready to meet the Lord soon.
Just preach to souls! Every living being has one, our mission is to sow the Seed!