We've come a long way with those who work with young people. Or maybe just my feelings toward them have changed over time. For all those who believe all these guys do it plan video game tournaments and pizza parties here something for you. Our minister to young people and their families has a program on Wednesday night called GLOW (it's pretty wonderful). Among the things they do is study! Last week Scott began a new series of teaching on Joshua. See below the summary of why he's doing this 12 week study:
- Young men should aspire to be like Joshua – men who pick up their pants, pull out their swords, push forward by the promise & protection of God.
- Young ladies should date & marry men like Joshua.Responsible young men who get off the couch, read their Bible, and fight for their family’s entrance to the promised land.
- The Lord promised victory & possession of every place Joshua’s feet touched. As Christians, we also have to step out in faith knowing the promise of victory & possession already taken by Christ.
- Laziness can keep young people from taking their schools, ball fields, and workplaces for Christ. We must get up & go. The Lord gives. But we must go.
- Be strong and courageous. Young Christians need strength and courage to accept His will, obey His Word, & go fight in war.
- Joshua called, charged, commanded & commissioned his officers to take the land by the promise of God. Jesus called, charged, commanded, & commissioned us as His disciples to take the land by the power of the gospel. Matt 28:18-20, Acts1:8
- The people’s pledge to Joshua was a promise of loyalty and commitment. Rebellion & disobedience to him meant death. A young person’s confession/pledge to Jesus is the same – a promise of loyalty & commitment. Death comes when we rebel & disobey Christ’s commands.
- The Israelites longed for rest/shalom/peace/well-being from the warfare and work of soldiers and slaves. Today we find our true rest/Sabbath/shalom as a sons, daughters & servants of Jesus Christ.