We want TheJenkinsInstitute to be a promoter of good things. We want to encourage "what is good!" So I'm thinking about making Friday posts that do just that: I've been in somewhat of a reading and wiring frenzy lately. I try to read 60 books a year but the last year I had really fallen down on that. But lately I've been both reading and writing a lot. I love both. Here are some of the books I've read the last few weeks and a line or two about them:
- Maximize: How to Develop Extravagant Givers in Your Church - Nelson Searcy - I enjoy most anything this practical guy writes.
- Every Communications, Few Connect: What the Most Effective People Do Differently, John Maxwell - I'm about 25% through this one. Maxwell is a master in this field. I think every minister and church leader should read this one.
- Sticks and Stones, Jeff Abrams - Jeff sent me this one a couple of weeks ago to read and comment on. It's not published yet but Jeff has written a book that you will want to read as soon as it comes out. It will speak to your heart. You'll be glad you read it. It is on Gossip - as you read it you will think of a lot of other people who you wish would read it!
- Dream Big, Ian Falconer - a cute little table book. Easy read - 10 minutes.
- Laid off and Loving It, David Tallman - David sent me this one to review for the Advocate. It is another pretty simple read and would be an encouraging book for anyone who has been laid off. It is a good book of faith.
- In the Lap of God, Comfort from the Psalms, Michael Gifford Michael and I were in college together and the GA sent this one to me to review. It is a great Bible book. It will move you and it will deepen your faith.
- Born Standing Up, Steve Martin - nope. A counselor friend of mine says that all preachers are performers. I don't know about that but I read it to just enjoy cause I liked Martin so much when I was a kid but I found myself relating to a lot of what he said.
- The 21 Indispensable Qualities of A Leader - John Maxwell - this one our elders are reading together and learning some from it and each other.
A good friend, Robbie Mackenzie does a vlog (video blog) each week. I knew he had done it but had not seen it. He asked me to be on it this week on week on staff relations. I went back and watched several of the previous ones he had done. They are super! He calls it Youth Ministry 6.3 (from Nehemiah 6:3). You can visit the site - http://youthministry63.blip.tv. Or you can subscribe via ITunes. Or just enter this in the podcast url: httt://youthministry.blip.tv/rss/itunes/
- Here's the link to the interview he did with me: http://youthministry63.blip.tv/file/5023855/
I hope you have a grand weekend full of good things. If you are in the Clarksville area tonight or tomorrow I will be preaching at Barker's Mill or if you are in the Nashville area I'll be at Crieve Hall Saturday morning preaching.
Now, go, be a blessing to somebody!